Accident Ends Hometown Victory Bid for Kurt Busch

An accident on lap 183 put Kurt Busch and the No. 41 Haas Automation Chevrolet behind the wall and out of the race. The crash ended the Las Vegas Nevada natives bid for his first Las Vegas victory in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series. Busch just lost the car on the exit of turn four and sandwiched the No. 9 of Chase Elliott, ending both drivers afternoon.

“I was running the low groove and it just stepped out on me," Busch told Fox. "I wasn’t even trying to fill the whole or go 100%. I had it at 90% and I knew Chase was going to be on my outside and it was just that quick. We were back there in the dirty air, but turn four, I always know it is slick and I wasn’t even pushing through there and it stepped out on me. Ruined his day, ruined my day. I hate it for all the Chase Elliott fans and the Kurt Busch fans and my hometown fans. I wasn’t even pushing hard. I knew we had one more stop and then we were going to go. It just stepped out on me. It is ridiculous.”

Despite having 38 victories across all three of NASCAR's top divisions, Busch has never found victory lane at Las Vegas. The hometown victory will have to wait at least another six months when the series returns to "Sin City" in September for the opening race of the playoffs. (Koelle,2018)

Photo Credit - Brandon Wright/Brandon Wright Photography

Comments