Atlanta Motor Speedway Repaving Following the 2017 Season

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
Matt Sullivan/NASCAR via Getty Images
Following the March Race Weekend, NASCAR's Oldest Racing Surface will get a re-pave which comes 20 years after the track was reconfigured, the Atlanta Motor Speedway will see a new surface which will make Atlanta one of the fastest if not the fastest tracks on the circuit. The track has hosted 31 Cup Series Races, 19 Xfinity Series Races, 15 Camping World Truck Series, 8 ARCA Racing Series presented by Menards, and 4 Verizon IndyCar Series races along with countless U.S. Legends and Bandolero races on it's "Thunder Ring". All of the dimensions will remain the same just with a new surface in fact the old surface will remain, but the new pavement will go over the old to leave the banking that it has currently.
Many fans took to social media to express their displeasure and I feel the track handled the situation very well. Many fans asked why the track was repaving and the answer left me understanding a little more than when I first heard the news. As listed is the answer AMS gave fans on their Facebook account.
"Time as well as weather have worn down the surface to where it needs to be repaved due to the shape that it is in. In recent years, we've sealed cracks up to extend the asphalt longer, the surface overall in other areas now has reached a point of needing repaving." Which means that the track is just getting to the point where it can't be repaired anymore and I feel that what needs to be done needs to be done especially in the interest of driver and fan safety.
I myself am open to this track re-paving especially since it has a close connection with myself being the first track I attended way back in 2005. I personally feel it could help put Atlanta back on the map but it could also push Atlanta off the map. I feel just give it a chance and understand the circumstances that is behind the purpose of the repave. (Koelle,2017)

Comments