The Future Is Sooner Than You Think - Hendrick Motorsports Edition

NASCAR Race Hub has been starting a special talking about where we see different teams ending up in the next few years and we decided we'd take the same teams and give our opinions about what is to come for each team in the new article series entitled The Future Is Sooner Than You Think. The first team we will cover is the powerhouse of Hendrick Motorsports.

Jimmie Johnson

When it comes to Jimmie Johnson unless Hendrick Motorsports closes their doors or he retires I don't see him leaving anytime soon. Jimmie has made every single one of his NASCAR Sprint Cup Series starts with Hendrick Motorsports where he has also won 6 titles over 11 years and has a win at Hendrick every year since 2002. Johnson leaving Hendrick would completely make him the hottest free agent but sorry everyone I don't see this guy entering free agency anytime soon. His current contract lasts until the end of 2017 along with his Career long Lowes Sponsorship. If Johnson leaves Hendrick I highly doubt he would go somewhere else, I think Jimmie Johnson Motorsports would be formed but I don't see that out of the 6 time champion at least for the foreseeable future.   

Chase Elliott 

The rookie from Dawsonville Georgia has certainly exceeded my expectations in 2016 and I expect a victory out of him very soon. Chase Elliott is the only person other than Johnson that I can see at Hendrick for the foreseeable future and with the reputation of being an Elliott wins are bound to come and I would honestly be circling Indianapolis on my calendar. Back to what I see in Chase in the next few years. I could see him competing for a championship very early in his career but I could see a Joey Logano look in him where he will come close so many times before finally winning his first. I see Chase Elliott there at HMS longer than I see Johnson just because of the age difference between them. Chase could become the next Guy at Hendrick Motorsports and I think fans will grow to like him. Not just because of his last name or the number he is driving.

Kasey Kahne 

Kasey Kahne's future at Hendrick Motorsports to me isn't looking very bright and if he doesn't leave soon other rides will fill up and he will have nowhere to go. Kahne has shown improvement recently and I am not putting that past him but just look at the last 2 years for the driver of the #5 Chevrolet SS. He missed the Chase in 2015, the only Hendrick Driver to miss, and is on the outside looking in again in 2016 despite his teammates being solidly in. With HScott Motorsports having an opening in either the #51 or #15, I could see Kahne landing there after 2018 when his contract expires. His time at Hendrick Motorsports could last longer than I am anticipating but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. 

This hasn't been one of Jr's best seasons and trust me it's starting to pan out to his fans. This time last season Dale had a win and was locked into the chase with a total of 7 Top-5's, and 1 Top-10. So far in 2016 Jr. has no wins, 5 Top-5's and 1 Top-10 which is something that is rather surprising considering Daytona and Talladega are not in either of those categories but rather in the DNF categories. As Daytona approaches you know Dale Jr. has his sight set on it but so do 39 other drivers who all feel Daytona is a level playing field. When it comes to
Jr's future at Hendrick, His contract runs out at the end of 2017 and I think the Retirement tour could be coming very soon for Jr. If he doesn't retire I could see JR Motorsports come up to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and hold the stature Dale Earnhardt Inc. held at one time. It wouldn't surprise me if you see Jr. at Hendrick for a few more years but I see his own team coming up very soon. Yes JR Nation I could see Dale behind the wheel of a NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Truck at Talladega or Daytona very soon and I think a victory is evident with that group.

Comments