On Tuesday NASCAR CEO Brian France announced that the Race Team Alliance (RTA) and NASCAR have reached an agreement to begin the Charter System in 2016. Below are the details simplified so everyone will understand it more along with a list of drivers who will be locked into the 40-Car Field.
- Starting in 2016 the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series field will be reduced from 43 cars to 40 cars. 36 Cars will be locked into the field, These teams have a Charter which means the car either purchased or merged with a team that has been full time for a designated amount of time. 4 Cars will make the race on speeds while the rest will go home.
- The reason this is a good thing is for teams like Leavine Family Racing, Premium Motorsports, HScott Motorsports, BK Racing among a few others will have a little easier way to sell sponsorship because the sponsor is guaranteed to make the race each week.
- Along with that it also adds a little more Job Stability for team members. If something like Michael Waltrip Racing happens again, a team owner like Kevin Lane or Bobby Hamilton Jr. can purchase that teams Charter and continue the corporation instead of it falling apart, leaving only the owner points for sale.
- Drivers who have been on the outside looking in as of late have a guaranteed spot in the Show each week. Teams like Leavine Family Racing, Premium Motorsports, HScott Motorsports, BK Racing will have a spot in the show. You will see these drivers more often in the future!
43 43 Richard Petty Motorsports Aric Almirola
9 44 Richard Petty Motorsports Brian Scott
3 3 Richard Childress Racing Austin Dillon
27 27 Richard Childress Racing Paul Menard
31 31 Richard Childress Racing Ryan Newman
2 2 Team Penske Brad Keselowski
22 22 Team Penske Joey Logano
5 5 Hendrick Motorsports Kasey Kahne
24 24 Hendrick Motorsports Chase Elliott
48 48 Hendrick Motorsports Jimmie Johnson
88 88 Hendrick Motorsports Dale Earnhardt Jr.
6 6 Roush Fenway Racing Trevor Bayne
16 16 Roush Fenway Racing Greg Biffle
17 17 Roush Fenway Racing Ricky Stenhouse Jr.
1 1 Chip Ganassi Racing Jamie McMurray
42 42 Chip Ganassi Racing Kyle Larson
11 11 Joe Gibbs Racing Denny Hamlin
18 18 Joe Gibbs Racing Kyle Busch
20 20 Joe Gibbs Racing Matt Kenseth
15 TBD Michael Waltrip Racing READ BELOW
55 TBD Michael Waltrip Racing READ BELOW
4 4 Stewart-Haas Racing Kevin Harvick
10 10 Stewart-Haas Racing Danica Patrick
14 14 Stewart-Haas Racing Tony Stewart
78 78 Furniture Row Racing Martin Truex Jr.
35 34 Front Row Motorsports Chris Buescher
38 38 Front Row Motorsports Landon Cassill
47 47 JTG Daugherty Racing AJ Allmendinger
7 7 Tommy Baldwin Racing Regan Smith
13 13 Germain Racing Casey Mears
32 32 Go Fas Racing Bobby Labonte/Jeffrey Earnhardt
23 23 BK Racing David Ragan
83 83 BK Racing Matt DiBenedetto
62 98 Premium Motorsports Cole Whitt
33 95 Circle Sport Racing Michael McDowell/Ty Dillon
51 15 HScott Motorsports Clint Bowyer
Drivers Who Are Out Of Charter
When it comes to this list 3 big names could enter the Daytona 500 and have their Destiny Wrote in the 2016 Can-Am Duels those drivers include a Former NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Champion. 2 of these teams could purchase Michael Waltrip Racing's Owner Points
Drivers Without a Charter
- Kurt Busch - #41 Chevrolet SS - Stewart Haas Racing
- Carl Edwards - #19 Toyota Camry - Joe Gibbs Racing
- Ryan Blaney - #21 Ford Fusion - Wood Brothers Racing
- Michael Anett - #46 Chevrolet SS - HScott Motorsports
- Robert Richardson Jr. - #26 Toyota Camry - BK Racing
- Matt DiBenedetto (D500) - #93 Toyota Camry - BK Racing *After the Daytona 500 He will move back to the #83*
- Erik Jones - #81? Toyota Camry - Joe Gibbs Racing *Joe Gibbs specified that Erik Jones will race in some Sprint Cup Series Races in 2016 It's unknown on if with the new charter if that will happen.
- Rick Hendrick - #25 Chevrolet SS - Hendrick Motorsports *Ran Some 2015 with Chase Elliott*
- John Cohen - #44 Chevrolet SS - Team Xtreme *Ran Beginning of 2016*
- Curtis Key Sr. - #30 Chevrolet SS - The Motorsports Group *Ran Off and On In 2015*
- Robby Benton - #29 Toyota Camry - RAB Motorsports *Opened the Season with Justin Marks*