From The Cockpit - 12 Questions with ARCA Racing Driver Josh White

Today in the newest installment of From The Cockpit We will talk to ARCA Racing Driver Josh White. Josh has drove for Hixson Motorsports from near by Soddy Daisy, TN, Josh has been in the ARCA Racing Series presented by Menards since 2013 but did not compete in 2014. In 2013 Josh raced 2 races at Springfield and DuQuoin. With a best finish of 22nd, both races being DNF's due to handling issues. In 2015 Josh returned to Hixson Motorsports where he raced 18 of the seasons 20 races and finished a career best 12th in points. We look forward to seeing what Josh will be doing in 2016, hopefully back behind the wheel for Wayne Hixson.

12 Questions with ARCA Racing Driver Josh White

Q- Tell the fans a little about your past.
A- "Well I'm 24 years old, from Charleston,WV and I've loved racing and the feel of raw horsepower since I could walk. By the time I was 4 years old I was driving (with help from my grandfather), by the time I was 8 I was already driving a full size truck with a 4 speed by myself. I grew up driving fourwheelers and drifting them racing as fast as I can go in the Appalachian mountains, and doing the same with a go cart with a 5 hp Briggs and Stratton motor. I started drag racing when I was 16 years old in a Camaro that was given to me. I had some success at Kanawha Valley Dragway but times were tough working 2 jobs for parts. So I enlisted in the us marine corps after graduating high school. When I got back I quickly returned to the drivers seat. This time in a crate late model, and it was the first time I went circle track racing. I had alot of fun, got a few top fives and a win but it was time to chase my dream. I got in contact with and grew a relationship with Wilson Motorsports in the ARCA Truck Series, tested in a ARCA car with Andy Hillenburg at Fast Track Racing, then I had my first asphalt circle track race and my only arca truck race at Toledo Speedway. I finished 13th with engine trouble and no communication. There at Toledo I met Wayne Hixson of Hixson Motorsports. That's where things got interesting. The same year, Wayne had me do my first ever 2 starts in the ARCA Racing Series. Then at the end of 2013 I tested at Daytona with C2m. I didn't get to do anything in 2014 but this year started off great for my first full season of ARCA. Pulling off 17 starts, 18 races and a ARCA career best finish of 23rd. I finished the year 12th in points and even more motivation for the years to come. With some good support and sponsors we can win!"

Q- Who was your childhood idol in NASCAR?
A- "Cole Trickle in Days of Thunder"

Q- What inspired you to become a Race Car Driver?
A- "Just my love for speed, and horsepower. I'm an adrenaline junkie and I'm addicted to the most expensive drug in the world, Motorsports. I don't think there are any drug anonymous classes for that."

Q-Favorite Track to compete at?
A- "Pocono. That place has my heart. I met a good friend of mine there that passed this year, Holly Golembiewski. Besides that I can rock that track with the right equipment. Its fun and I know I can win there if given the right opportunity."

Q- Whats one word to describe going 200 mph at Daytona International Speedway?
A- "You can't describe that in a thousand words. That place is so legendary that it gives you a feeling you can't explain. If your driving there, and you don't shed a tear going through the tunnel to the garage, theres something wrong with you."


Q- What are your plans for 2016? 
A- "Well I'm actively looking for sponsors but it doesn't look like 2016 is going to be much of a success. 2017 is looking very promising. If I don't get the sponsorship needed to run ARCA next year, ill be running locally on dirt and ill be building my next drag race car. It won't be as crazy as the 405 guys on the street outlaws but I'm going to have some fun regardless of what happens ."

Q- First car you ever drove? Who was it for?
A- "First race car I ever drove was my 84 Camaro Z28 and I drove for myself"

Q- Do you think the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Chase System should come to other series like ARCA?
A- "No, I like the ARCA points system and I believe it should go back to the NSCS"

Q-Would you rather do Single Car Qualifying or Group Qualifying?
A- "I like them both but group qualifying is alot more fun so I would rather group qualify"

Q- State where you'd like to see a track built?
A- "My home state, WV. It would boost the economy here, and it would be perfect for NASCAR. Attendance at the races at that track would be plentiful."

Question 11 was asked by Kyle Lockrow in the Last From Cockpit Article.
Q- What are the Top 3 Characteristics that a Championship Caliber Driver need to possess? 
A- "Patience, sportsmanship, and drive. He has to want it."

For Question #12 I want you to ask a question for the next driver we Interview!
Q- Can you explain what struggles you are going through to keep your racing career going?
Now answer that question for yourself!
A- "I constantly struggle because I find a tough time fitting in I suppose. I'm a poor man trying to make it in a rich mans sport. And I'm from the hills of WV so I guess I have had alot of things against me. I'm finding it tough to get to the right people, its a never ending struggle because I've never been a good talker when it comes to getting sponsors."

We are surely not done hearing from Josh and will certianly look forward to seeing him in ARCA in 2016! (Koelle, 2015)

Comments